Home > Watches > Omega
From its modest beginnings in La Chaux-de-Fonds in 1848, the assembly workshop created by 23-year-old Louis Brandt gradually gained renown. After Louis Brandt's death in 1879, his two sons Louis-Paul and Cesar, troubled by irregular deliveries of questionable quality, abandoned the unsatisfactory assembly workshop system in favor of in-house manufacturing and total production control. Due to the greater supply of manpower, communications and energy in Bienne, the enterprise moved into the 2nd floor of this small factory in January 1880 then bought the entire building in December. Two years later the company moved into a converted spinning-factory in the Gurzelen district of Bienne, where headquarters are still situated today. Their first series-produced calibres, Labrador and Gurzelen, as well as, the famous OMEGA caliber of 1894, would ensure the brand's marketing success.
The economic difficulties brought on by the First World War would lead to the 1925 union of OMEGA and Tissot, then to their merger in 1930 within the group SSIH, Geneva. The SSIH Group continued to grow and multiply, absorbing or creating some fifty companies to become Switzerland's no 1 producer of finished watches and no 3 in the world.
Watches · Search · Site Map · Home